Monday, October 10, 2011

Old,Me? Maybe, Just Not Numerically

This morning I woke early in my Comfort Suites hotel room in Gallup, New Mexico to frost on the ground, coffee in the lobby and a the knowledge that I may need help to really be considered a man. As my friend Terry and I ate breakfast we overheard a couple of older fellas comparing notes about their lives. One of them was a World War II navy veteran, and was a very cordial and engaging man, the kind that you want to sit and listen to him talk and tell stories for hours on end.

As we listened, we realized that he had taken a cross country trip on a motorcycle, somewhere in the neighborhood of 8000 miles. The interesting thing is that he is in his mid eighties, and really pretty spry. As we were sitting in the lobby, swigging coffee and perusing the internet we saw him and the man he was talking with both leave the hotel and get on their motorcycles. The second guy walked out of the hotel using a walker too.

Okay, at this point both Terry and I decided that we would have to up our game or we were going to lose our man cards. We were both gimping around the lobby acting like we were twice our actual age, and these older guys were acting half theirs. It was definitely a wake up call for me, I'm not sure what to do with this information, or where to even start. These two seemed to be really living life, that's not to say that I'm not, it was just weird to see older guys living what to seems a pretty full life.

It makes me think of where I'm going to be in forty years, will I still be gimping around or will I have made it to the level of living that full life that Jesus talks about in John 10:10? I think I better get on with making it the second. I probably need to spend more time on the people I meet and not so much on talking about me. Well here I am again, realizing that I need to work on my love walk, to be more like Jesus. Here we go Lord, let's change my heart and become more of what You desire me to be.

Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!



1 comment:

Gods1stKnight said...

On a follow up note, we actually met one of the gentlemen the next morning, and he was truly a very engaging man who was in the Marines, and actually fought on Iwo Jima. In the course of the conversation Terry mentioned that we had watched the HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers" and really liked history and were very thankful for this man's service to the country. He asked if we had watched "The Pacific" to which we replied, "Yes." He told us that one of the main characters in that story was a friend of his. It was an honor to meet this man, plus very cool to boot!