Sunday, December 26, 2010

Hope Deferred and the Steward of Gondor

I found myself watching The Lord of the Rings, Return of the King tonight, I know, I know I own the movie, but there is just something that makes me stop whenever it is on the television...I don't know why. Anyway, as I was watching it, I had a strong desire to pay attention to the character Denethor, Steward of Gondor. There are so many things that can be learned from a study of Denethor, but for tonight the thing that really jumped out at me was his stewardship of Gondor.Denethor was the 26th Steward of Gondor. The men who were the Stewards sat in the seat just below and to the right of the King's throne. These men had served Gondor ever waiting for the King to return. I don't know if you have ever waited very long for something or not, but as I watched this show tonight and pondered the fate of Denethor, the Holy Spirit quickened a verse to my spirit.

Proverbs 13:12 NIV says: "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life." Hope deferred; deferred means postponed or delayed. Denethor's heart had become sick, partly because of the delaying return of the King of Gondor. And this is something that we must be on guard about in our lives as well, especially with our families.

As men, we tend to pour ourselves into every area that makes us look better. It's no secret that men don't like to look stupid. So to minimize our amount of looking stupid time, we focus on the areas of our lives that we understand or know the best. It should be no surprise then that we put off our family time, or time with our spouse; after all we don't really understand what all we should be doing there right?

Saying things like, "We'll do that one day, or maybe next time.", is not doing our families any good at all. We don't have to be the wisest, or the best looking we just have to be there for them. They just want us, they want our attention, and our time and for us to just be involved, and that is not too hard. We just have to make the time to be there.

So let's not waste our lives by waiting for the right time, let's jump in there and get in the middle of our families and not let them have hope deferred. Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!

No comments: