Thursday, February 5, 2009

Allies...Do You Have Any?

Allies: In general, allies are individuals, groups or nations that have joined together in an association for mutual benefit or to achieve some common or purpose.

I received a letter from John Eldredge (he's the founder of Ransomed Heart Ministries & author of Wild at Heart) yesterday and in it he made the statement that one of the most common questions that they are asked at Ransomed Heart Ministries is, "What do you do for church?"

I won't go into the entire letter, that's not really what I'm wanting to talk about here today. The comment was made in the letter that usually a person who is following after God has come to realize that 1) the heart is central to this life and 2) we are living in a spiritual war, and we have an enemy. John when on to say, and I quote, "Which leads us to wonder, Where will I find allies? Who can I take this journey with?"

So let me pose a question here. Who are your allies? Who are you on this God-following journey with? I for one, have a most excellent wife and three kids who are walking this path with me, and they are great companions as well. Yet there are times when my wife and children are not enough.

I need some male allies that can be there when life gets rough. I need men that know my story, and have walked with me for a while that I can trust. An ally is one that you can trust to have your back when times get tough. An ally is also someone who, when needed, will give you a swift kick in the butt if you need it. Allies are those who will speak the truth to you in love, and will let you do the same thing when they need it.

One of the interesting things about developing a group of allies, and I say developing because this is not something that happens by chance, is that it takes an incredible amount of time. It's through sharing your story, and letting them share theirs with you that we develop a close-knit bond that allows the initmacy required in having allies and being one.

I am a firm believer that we should attend a local body, get hooked up and do works of service there. But I think we've missed it somewhere by just thinking that through our church attendance only we will develop a group of allies. We are not in a position to interact with one another in the church setting, not because it's wrong, it's just not the proper setting for that.

Sitting in one another's home, or at a resturant sharing a meal, now this is the place that allies are developed. It's in these smaller, more intimate settings that we are able to pray one for another and encourage each other with God's Word. We are more at ease with each other, and the sharing of our lives with each other is amazing!

So keep going to church, but begin to ask the Father to show you people that would be good allies for you to hook up with. Then take a chance, introduce yourself and get to work building those relationships that will take you to the next level...Strength and honor.....

2 comments:

Lana Vaughan said...

This is exactly what my husband and I were talking about over dinner last night. I just got back from Captivating this weekend and he's going to Advanced Camp. This weekend the women broke the "agreement" that there aren't any women in our hometowns to walk this journey with. We prayed together asking God to send women of like heart to walk with us and for us to walk with them. God sent me one yesterday afternoon. My husband is still praying for God to assemble his Band of Brothers.

Gods1stKnight said...

And I believe that you will find them as will he Lana. Actually unless we live in a remote area like say, Antartica, we are going to run into people all the time. The real trick to developing a band is to not look for what you are wanting so much as for what God is wanting for you.
I'm sure that Frodo if asked would have preferred that only hobbits went with him, but look at his band, a couple of humans, a dwarf, an elf, a wizard and some hobbits...I think we find true and authentic relationships not in what we think....hmmmm that might make a good blog....strength and honor....