Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Jesus...Make Me The Man You Want Me To Be

There is a favorite song of mine that Phil Joel does, called "Make Me The Man You Want Me To Be" on the "Bring It On" cd. Here is a video link that I found of him doing it live:

I got to thinking about that, Jesus making me the man that He wants me to be. Sometimes we throw around Christian type phrases like this, but Jesus has done everything that He is going to do, I just have to walk in what He has purchased for me. So really Jesus, make me the man that You want me to be is something of a misleading statement.
I have to take what I see that Jesus has done for me (this is found in the Bible) and begin to agree with what His Word says about me and do those things that I find in there. I have to love my wife, which while Jesus by His Spirit can encourage me to do this, it ultimately is up to me and me alone to do that. I can love my neighbor as myself, but again Jesus won't make me do that, I have to take the time to actually love my neighbor, and that takes time and effort.
I know that I want to be the man that Jesus wants me to be, but it can't be a passive thing, I have to be active in pursuing it. I think that is where many of us fail, we want to be the men that Jesus wants us to be, but we are unwilling to put the effort into getting there. And believe me there is effort in attaining that place. I have not arrived, but I'm on the journey...won't you join me? If you are already on the journey, shoot me an email and let me know how it's going...I'm always looking to meet other men working to be the men that Jesus wants them to be...
Strength and honor......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jesus does not make you the man he wants you to be! Get a backbone and make yourself what he wants you to be with his help. If he has to carry you, what good are you going to be in fighting Satan? Brother, please understand, I don't know you, but you know what I say here is true. Love for all those who believe.