Sunday, August 11, 2013

Where Do You Live?

I have lived on this planet for almost fifty years now, and the more years I've achieved, the more perspective I have gained as well. I have an opinion on just about anything, if you don't believe me, just ask, it's something we "older" fellas just do I guess.

I was making a late night run to WalMart last night, and as I drove down the country road which would deliver me to the store, I noticed from the beam of my car's headlights a frog hopping from one side to the other. Now those little suckers can leap pretty far.  He made it across the road in like four or five bounds, which is something that I couldn't have done even in my youngest and most limber years.

After seeing this, my mind went to other critters God has made, like the grasshopper.  At my work, I have an office which is in a tower.  It's approximately forty to fifty feet in the air, and you reach it by climbing two flights of stairs. The other day there was a grasshopper on the walkway by the door.  I thought, "How'd he get up here?"  As I got closer to him, he leaped right off of the platform, (bet that was a shocker for him) and I was amazed by the leap he made too, it was almost six feet.  Something pretty awesome for an insect who is not much bigger than a couple of inches long.

Life can get us so busy that we can miss what is right in front of us.  Let me ask you a question, where do you live? When you go about your day, what is it that you see?  I'm reminded of "Alice in Wonderland"; when she fell down that hole in the ground she ended up in a fantastical and magical place. Everywhere she went she encountered amazing and incredible creatures. True, this is a make believe story, but I think if we'd actually open our eyes to what is around us, we would see that we too live in just as fantastical a place.

I mean do you ever think about it?  God could have made this place so very bland, but He didn't. I don't like snakes; and my son and I actually killed a Copperhead on our front porch the other night, but as I looked at the pattern and colors on the dead snake I thought, "Wow, those colors and pattern on him really are cool."
This was the third species of snake which we have found in our yard this year. There are between 2500 and 3000 varying types of snakes in the world, and all of them look different.  Really?  I mean that's pretty incredible don't you think?

God created the Earth and filled it with millions of wonderful and incredibly amazing creatures.  Then He set mankind in the midst of it and told us to rule and reign over them.  I find myself a lot of days in the hustle and bustle of making a living, but forgetting where it is I actually live. And I, just like you live in an amazing place full of wonder, if I will just take the time to open my eyes and really experience all that God has made.

Strength and honor for the Kingdom and King.

1 comment:

Joan Vasquez said...

This really spoke to me. Between my job, home based business, home schooling and just all the normal things that are part of being a wife and Mom, it seems I spend a lot of time focused on the "next" thing instead of being "present" in the moment. I am really working on that. Thank you so much for sharing this.