Sunday, July 22, 2012

Some Days Fighting Orcs Would Be Easier

Life can be challenging most days, at least for me it can be.  There are times when I feel it would be easier to face down a horde of angry Orcs rather than enter into what the day holds for me.  If you know me, then you know that I love fantasy and science fiction.  Really what I love is a good story, I always have. I'm a very visual person too, that's actually how I learn .  When I can see something in a story that I can apply to my life, then it helps me to learn and grow.

There is a scene in the Lord of the Rings which takes place as Frodo decides he must leave the fellowship and take the ring into Mordor by himself.  As Frodo is talking to Aragorn and asking him to watch over his friends, a number of Orcs arrive on the scene.

Telling Frodo to run, Aragorn turns to face what for most men would be certain death, yet there is a smile which creeps onto his face as he draws his sword gripping it ever so tightly, then charging straight towards them.  And there is a part of me that thinks that would actually be easier to deal with too.

I think the reason I feel this way, is that at least if you are fighting 100 Orcs, you know what you are up against, there is a tangibility by which I can judge where I am.  Yet the day to day life for me can at times become so mundane.  It's hard to know what God is up to in my life some days because of the normal daily grind; I'm up early, drink my coffee, do my Bible reading, go to work then come home and clean up, rest for a few hours then go to bed so that I can get up and repeat the cycle the next day.  It's like rinse, lather, rinse, and repeat.


The thing is that I know God is working in my life even when I can't see it, it's just that at times I sure wish I could see what was going on behind the scenes.  Have you ever felt like that?  Some days a little bit of clarity would be nice, although I have never found where God promised that we would have clarity, instead He says that we just need to trust Him.  Take a look at Proverbs 3:5 - 6:


"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him and He will make your paths straight."

So while I may never face down a horde of angry Orcs, and my days may at times all look the same day after day, I will continue to trust the Lord with all of my heart, knowing that He is at work in the background making my paths straight.  And that my friends does my heart a world of good for sure.  Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!

No comments: